Blue Hole Back Home by Joy Jordan-Lake
Beautifully written - an absolute treat to read because of the fine writing! This author is great with her descriptions using metaphors... "Like the fall of a theater curtain on the last act, dusk dropped onto the blue hole..."and in infusing the sarcasm of a teenager in the voice of the narrator (Momma made certain everyone in her path felf affirmed at all times, even if she had to perjure herself to do it...) It is a story of racial tension in late 70's in the south, (but dealing with a Muslim family instead of a black one.) I totally liked it. Told through the eyes of teenagers that are more accepting than their parents.
I just finished this book. Found it by chance in the new section of the library. I think I will choose it the next time I host book club. The writing is beautiful, the message so haunting and tender. I just loved it. If you are looking for a good book, try this one.
Beautifully written - an absolute treat to read because of the fine writing! This author is great with her descriptions using metaphors... "Like the fall of a theater curtain on the last act, dusk dropped onto the blue hole..."and in infusing the sarcasm of a teenager in the voice of the narrator (Momma made certain everyone in her path felf affirmed at all times, even if she had to perjure herself to do it...) It is a story of racial tension in late 70's in the south, (but dealing with a Muslim family instead of a black one.) I totally liked it. Told through the eyes of teenagers that are more accepting than their parents.
2 comments:
I need a new good book! I'll be heading to my library to check this one out. Glad you found another good one.
I beg to differ. Mom gave me this book to read and I think that, although the main message was awesome, some of the parts in the book drove me crazy (teenage romance)!
Love,
Katie
Post a Comment