Saturday, March 22, 2008

Holes




Melissa and I just finished reading Holes. She was reading it for school and was assigned a few chapters every night. We took turns reading every other paragraph. We were really GOOD and didn't read ahead - though we were tempted. Holes is a great book that combines a bit of "tall-tales" storytelling with the realities of growing up. Melissa is a great reading partner!

I get so excited to share my love of reading with my kids. When we read the same books and can have a conversation about them it is great! They all like to suggest books for my book club group to read. Actually I love young adult books. Katie just shared one with me - Sleeping Freshman Never Lie by David Lubar. I read it in 3 days, loved the humor, sarcasm and teenager point of view. Let me introduce you to the Tom Swifty...."I love to read," Tom said bookishly. "I have to go to the bathroom," Tom said peevishly.

Funny - one of my memories of 6th or 7th grade is being assigned to read The Yearling (you know - Flag the little deer.) After we read it, we took a test and I scored 100%. I remember thinking, what a dumb test. It was just questions about everything that we had just read. What was the point, give us good grades for reading? I'll take that! That's why I was an English major before I switched to Nursing. "I guess the blood and guts were just too tempting," Deb said gruesomely.

4 comments:

Toby and Tammy said...

Holes is a an excellent book and I'm glad that Melissa finished it and liked it......
Mom, you are such a dork-I laughed outloud at the "Tom Swifties" you made up. They were great!
I need to go and check that book out from the library so I can finish it. :)

Lindsay said...

I have been wondering about Holes, I just ordered the movie on Netflix and thought about getting the book! Thanks for the tip!

Linda said...

OR "The needles were just so inviting" she said pointedly...

Or perhaps, "The money was so much better," she added richly...

Hey--this would be a fun activity for a family reunion!

Sounds like my kind of book, thanks for the recommendation.

I used to read my kids' books when they did, too. Really helped to stay connected w/their school work. I read The Yearling when they were in middle school at the time we came to visit in Widbey Island. I cried at the end, when the boy (and, parenthetically, for me, the yearling) disappeared beyond the live oaks and were gone forever...just like my little girls...what a sap, I'm tearing up writing this!

Thank goodness only the GIRLS disappeared and I still have the beautiful daughters, now as grown-up WOMEN.

Debbie said...

Linda - your tom swifty's are the best. You made me laugh right out loud! I think you would enjoy the book - you could have written it! Thank you for a dose of your wonderful humor! Love you!