Saturday, May 8, 2010

Weekend Away!

DSC_1794Mike planned a great Mother’s Day gift for me.  We went away for just a day and a half, a quick get away to Seattle on Friday and Saturday.  On the way we stopped for a great dinner at Moses Lake at a golf course/ country club there.  OH MY GOSH – it was like eating on a cruise.  Such good food.  We had a crab bisque that was heaven, and then I ordered scallops that  melted in my mouth.  What a treat! 

DSC_1773We drove on to Seattle –we actually stayed in Bellevue.  I read part one of the book Outliers aloud in the car and Mike and I both really enjoyed it.  It makes you think.  The next morning we got up and went to the temple.  A big temple!DSC_1776 DSC_1780 3

We almost got lost with 4 floors, escalators and waiting areas, 4 ordinance rooms and lots of sealing rooms.  We did manage to find the cafeteria in the basement and had a nice lunch.  One of our favorite memories is this picture.  I approached a mother and teenaged son to ask the son to take our picture together. (You had to kneel down to get the angle to include the temple so I thought the son would be a better choice with the mom in a dress and all.) 

Well, as I got closer it became apparent that the son was special needs.  But I asked him anyway.  He was excited to help, very childlike but willing to try and to follow directions.  I think he was autistic because he never said a word.  He was happy to see the picture he had taken in the LCD screen on the back of the camera.  I thanked him for his help and his Mom thanked us for making him feel important.  What  a sweet boy.  Just about Andrew and Katie’s age.DSC_1783

Then it was off to do a little shopping at the North Bend outlets.  So fun.  We had some exchanges to make at the Coach Store.  They know Mike there….  He did some shopping at Christmas time.  He is spoiling me with nice purses.

DSC_1782  We drove around the town of North Bend and decided we really like it.  Mike found this cool old truck, 1947 Dodge.  I like the church too.  Neat windows.DSC_1784

The drive home was beautiful with the hills covered with spring green trees against the dark green evergreens.  There was still a bit of snow at the tops of the mountains.  The sky was blue and the beauty of the Cascades is a favorite of Mike and I anyway – from our days on Whidbey.  We were looking out the windows just marveling at the beauty.  The drive was a major fun part of the weekend!DSC_1797 We brought the girls some cookies to say we were thinking of them.  What a great little get away.  Thanks Honey! Of course Katie has quite the story to tell about the weekend.

2 comments:

The Jatens said...

Sounds like so much fun! I love the pictures. I love the spring pictures fromt he previous post as well. You are so talented. Love ya. Happy Mother's Day!

Toby and Tammy said...

What a fun get-a-way! Love your photos and what a cute story about the boy who took your temple picture. Happy Day!